Automatic coding suggestions
When you code invoices, ReadSoft Online can make your job easier by suggesting accounting codes, coding dimensions, and amounts. Each time you code an invoice, ReadSoft Online remembers the accounts and coding dimensions you select and the percentages of the amounts on each accounting line. Then, the next time you code an invoice from the same supplier, ReadSoft Online automatically suggests the account codes, coding dimensions and amounts based on the choices you made previously.
Assume you enabled automatic coding suggestions and code an invoice on account "456" with 100% of the amount in the debit column and zero in the credit column. You also specify "1044" as the cost center and "003" as the project.
Then you click OK to complete the approval process and send the invoice to the target system.
The next time you code an invoice from the same supplier, the coding row is automatically filled in for you. In this example, 100% of the invoice amount is in the debit column. Likewise, the account, cost center and project are the same as the previous coding.
Enabling automatic coding suggestions
You enable the Automatic coding suggestion setting on the Coding tab in Admin Center. Then make sure Include in coding suggestion is selected for each coding field that should utilize coding suggestions.
How it works
ReadSoft Online creates an accounts-payable coding history for each supplier. The data from the last ten invoices--that have been completely processed through the system--is used to determine which account codes and amounts to suggest. Each coding history can contain up to 100 coding lines. When you code an invoice, the data that is used most often is used as the coding suggestion. If all ten coding instances are different, the most recent instance is used for the coding suggestion.
The coding history can be shared on different levels: partner, customer and buyer. The level determines how coding suggestions are shared. For example:
- If you share the coding history on the partner level, all customers of the partner account contribute to and use the same coding suggestions. This can be useful if the customers use the same account codes and have many invoices from the same suppliers.
- If you share coding history on the customer level, the code-suggestions stay within the customer and is only shared amongst the buyers of the customer (if the customer has multiple buyers).
- If you share coding history on the buyer level, the code-suggestions stay
within the buyer.
The coding history is only shared behind the scenes. There is no way for one customer to see the coding data of another customer.
For automatic coding suggestions to work, at lease one of these fields must be specified in the supplier master-data (ordered below from highest to lowest priority):
- Organization number.
- Tax registration number.
- Supplier number.
These special characters are not allowed in the organization number, VAT registration number and supplier number fields:
- Forward slash (/).
- Backslash (\).
- Number sign (#).
- Question mark (?).
- Control characters from U+007F to U+009F.
- Control characters from U+0000 to U+001F, including:
- Tab (\t).
- Linefeed (\n).
- Carriage return (\r).
When are coding suggestions applied?
The application of coding suggestions is dependent on two settings and whether the settings are enabled () or disabled ():
|Perform registration step||Allow account coding during verification||Result|
No coding rows are added automatically; however, you can click Refresh () during approval to get coding suggestions.
Coding suggestions are applied during registration and displayed during approval.
Coding suggestions are applied during extraction and displayed during verification.
Refreshing coding suggestions
Sometimes you make changes which require you to refresh () coding suggestions. ReadSoft Online prompts you to refresh your coding suggestions when the:
- Buyer is changed.
- Supplier is changed.
- Invoice/Credit field is changed.
- Net/Gross amount is changed.
In addition to the points above, if you use line items as your coding-suggestion source, ReadSoft Online also prompts you to refresh your coding suggestions when:
- Line items are added or removed.
- The line-item table is redrawn.
- A line-item amount is changed.
Sharing coding data across multiple levels
It is possible to share the coding history across multiple levels. When you select multiple levels in the Coding settings, the coding history is shared upwards through the hierarchy. For example, assume you select all three levels. This has several implications:
- When you code an invoice on the buyer level, ReadSoft Online checks if there is a suitable coding suggestion on the buyer level. If no suggestion is found there, ReadSoft Online checks the customer level, and if no suggestion is found there, ReadSoft Online checks the partner level.
- When you code an invoice on the buyer level, the coding history is updated on the parent customer and partner.
- When you code an invoice on the customer level, the coding history is updated in its own customer level and in the parent partner level.
In order to share coding data between partners, customers and buyers, the suppliers must have a value for:
- the supplier number field.
- the VAT registration field or the organization number field.
Choosing a source
Automatic coding suggestions can come from one of three sources, which you specify in the Coding configuration settings:
- Online coding - Uses historical data from ReadSoft Online to determine the default coding suggestions.
- Line items - Inserts each line
item as a coding row and uses historical data from
to determine the default coding suggestions.
When your default account type is general ledger, coding suggestions are made for account fields if you used the same account for all rows when coding previous invoices from the same supplier.
Coding amounts for invoices are placed in the debit column, whereas coding amounts for credit notes are placed in the credit column.
If the current document type does not have any line items, Online coding is used. If the current document type does have line item fields, but no line items are captured, no coding suggestions are created.
- External system - Uses coding suggestions provided by an external system. This option is only supported when you use ReadSoft Online with Visma Business.