Adding custom fields to a document type
In most cases, document types contain all of the fields required to interpret an invoice from a particular country. However, sometimes you need to add extra information to the invoices during the verification process. For example, you can use a custom extraction field to add a reference to an external ERP system. If you need to attach extra information to invoices, custom fields are an easy way to accomplish this.
To add a custom field to a document type in Admin Center:
- Navigate to the Extraction service that corresponds to the account level you want to adjust.
- Click EDIT and click the document type that you want to edit. The document type view appears.
- Click Header fields or Line-item fields, depending on the type of field you want to add.
ADD HEADER FIELD or
ADD LINE-ITEM FIELD and use
view that appears to define your custom field.
After you save the settings, the custom field is immediately available in the Verification view.
Note the following:
- Custom field data is extracted like predefined fields. However, you must show Kofax AP Essentials the position of the custom field on at least one invoice image from each supplier. To show Kofax AP Essentials the position of a custom field, simply draw the field on the invoice image during verification.
- It is not necessary to stop production or deactivate accounts when you add a custom field. As soon as you add the field, it is available in the Verification view.
- If you use buyers, and you have altered the document type settings on the buyer level, you must also add the custom field on the buyer level. The custom field does not appear if you add it to the customer level in this case.
To specify a line-item field, precede the Type name with "LIT_".
By default, a custom line-item field captures values up to 100 characters in length (alphanumeric characters and special characters), unless you specify another format in the Format settings.